"The study of crossing cultures through international relationship between small cities in Southeast Asia and Japan."
Som is interested in crossing cultures through international relationships between Southeast Asia and Japan. People bring their beliefs, customs, and cultures with them to feel at home while adapting to a new environment. It happens in capital cities, but also in small cities dotted around borders, along the rivers, coasts, or strategic locations. She is interested in their cultural relationship by looking at the influence and adaptation of their skills of languages, arts and crafts, architectures, etc. The project will be held in Japan, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, and Myanmar. It will be a resource for her future artworks/projects.
- Main Cities of Activity
- Japan：Tokyo, Yokohama, Okinawa, Sapporo Malaysia：Kuala Lumper, Labuan Brunei：Bandar Seri Begawan Singapore：Singapore Myanmar：Yangon, Mandalay
- Host Institution(s) / Individual(s)
- Arts Inisiative Tokyo (AIT)
- Arts Tropical
- Fuyuka Shindo
- Ryusue Ito, Fine arts department of Hokkaido University of Education
- Nani Kahar (LabDNA)
- Hazairi Hassan and Lyna Musmanlyna
- Yasmin Jaidin
- Paul Khoo
- Jeremy Chu
- Japan Foundation Yangon