All grant programs conducted by Asia Center ended in FY2021

●Regarding Safety

Grant Program for Promotion of Cultural Collaboration



●Instructions for filling in application


●Items eligible for the grant

The Asia Center Fellowship Program

※There is no plan for new callsof this program in FY2021



●Application Documents

Q. How can I obtain security and safety information of the country/countries to which I will be traveling?

Your safety and health, as well as your project’s participants, is your responsibility. Please be sure to prepare in advance regarding security and safety overseas by contacting embassies and/or consulates of the countries in question and through other information available online.

Grant Program for Promotion of Cultural Collaboration

Q. Can organizations without corporate status also apply?

Organizations without corporate status (voluntary and unincorporated bodies) may apply, on condition that they submit the organization’s Bbylaws, tTerms (or the equivalent). Furthermore, applicants must possess a bank account of which the account holder’s name is the same as the organization. Bank accounts of individuals are not accepted.

Q. Can individuals apply?

No, individuals cannot apply.

Q. Are projects that involve (a) non-ASEAN countearpart(s) eligible?

Application is permitted if the main and/or majority of participants are from Japan or ASEAN countries. However, as with all applications, the budget is subject to assessment and will be screened according to the necessity and efficacy within the overall plan.

Q. Our operating base is in a country other than Japan or an ASEAN country; can we apply if we will be collaborating with an ASEAN organization?

No, organizations whose operating base is in a country other than Japan or ASEAN countries are not eligible.

Q. Are projects planned to be held in Japan eligible for the grant?

If the overall project involves the cooperation of organizations/individuals in ASEAN countries, projects in Japan arewould also be eligible.

Q. Would projects that involve traveling to countries other than Japan and ASEAN countries be eligible for the grant?

Collaborative projects in countries other than Japan and ASEAN countries are eligible. However, projects with a high percentage of overall involvement of such countries may result in the decrease of priority.

Q. In the case of projects that require several separate overseas trips, would the grant only cover the travel from the country of destination and back to the country of origin?

Several overseas trips would be covered, depending on the project.

Q. Do I have to submit estimates/quotations of all expenses noted in the Budget Sheet (Form II)?

Yes, all estimates/quotations and other equivalent documents (such as Price Lists) that substantiate the amounts and calculations indicated in the Budget Sheet must be submitted. Estimates/quotations provided by the intended supplier(s) is ideal, but those provided by others and documents of the equivalent are accepted. Applications that lack such documents will result in the decrease of priority at the time of screening. Documents made by the applicant her/himself areis not accepted.

Q. What should I submit if I do not have an Article of Incorporation or the equivalent?

For voluntary and/or unincorporated organizations or the similar, submit the Bylaws and/or Articles submitted at the time of opening a bank account. Vocational Training, Medical, Educational Institutions and other similar institutions and foundations that follow the Private School Act must submit their Constitution and Bylaws.

Q. Is there a specific form for the support letter from the co-organizer(s)/ cooperator(s)?

No, there is no specific form. The support letter must, however, include the name of the organization/individual, the project name, duration of cooperation, specifics of the cooperation, and handwritten signature.

Q. What is the maximum amount of the grant?

The maximum amount, in principle, is 10 million Japanese Yen per project. The actual grant sum, however, shall be determined after careful evaluation and screening of the items and their amount in the Budget Sheet. Please note that the grant sum will not exceed 70 percent of the total sum.

Q. Can I apply for grants, funding, and contributions from other organizations and companies while also applying for the Grant Program for Enhancing People-to-People Exchange/ Grant Program for Promotion of Cultural Collaboration?

We strongly encourage applicants to apply for other sources of funding. It must be noted, however, that allocating the Japan Foundation Asia Center’s funding and another source(s) of funding for the same expense item is strictly prohibited. Applying for multiple grant programs run by the Japan Foundation for a single project is also not permitted.

Q. Are the costs of purchasing materials, equipment, and consumable goods eligible?

All purchases (of products, merchandise, consumable goods, and so on) are not eligible. Likewise, the purchase of material(s) for production of artworks, props, and so on is not eligible. Only the cost(s) of hiring equipment is accepted.

Q. Can I apply for all five categories for the budget?

You can only apply for a maximum of three categories.

Q. Can I include the cost of constructing websites/homepages in category “D. Cost of preparing materials, reports and publicity”?

The cost(s) of website/homepage construction is not eligible. Only the cost(s) of printing, designing, and/or editing of materials (catalogues, posters, flyers, leaflets and reports etc.) to be distributed in meetings and other events are eligible.
[Other examples of non-eligible expenses]
• Fees for reproducing CDs and DVDs
• Fees for the construction, design, maintenance, and management of websites and online services
• Fees for video, photo, and audio recordings and any of the equivalent
• Honorarium for manuscript writing
• Fees for advertising or other publication on external media

The Asia Center Fellowship Program

Q. Can ASEAN nationals apply?

Yes, ASEAN nationals can apply on condition that they reside in Japan or one of the ten ASEAN countries.

Q. I am an ASEAN national living in Japan. Would my research in my home country be eligible?

No, activities and/or research in the country which you have nationality, citizenship, or permanent residency, or in the country you currently reside or are based in are not eligible.

Q. Can students apply?

Yes, students (university-level and above) are eligible. In the field of intellectual exchange, academic careers of master’s degree and above or equivalent is one of the important criteria for screening. In the fields of arts and culture and sports, on the other hand, previous experience and achievements is the criteria for screening.

Q. What kinds of fields are eligible?

Arts and culture, sports, and intellectual exchange are eligible. These include the visual arts, performing arts, arts management, cultural policy, film, architecture, conservation of cultural heritage, academia (humanities and social sciences), media/journalism, and civil society.

Q. What kinds of activities are eligible?

A wide range of activities are eligible such as research (writing of articles/essays, reportage etc.), collecting of interviews, data, archiving, attending conferences to form networks or to build platforms.

Q. Do I need to get (a) Host Institution(s)/Individual(s) in each of the destination(s) of my activity?

Yes, acceptance from Host Institution(s)/Individual(s) are mandatory to ensure the collaborative nature of the program.
・Attach the required documents below according to the status of acceptance.
・Lack of such documents will be reflected during screening.
* Consent granted: Cooperation Agreement/ Letter of Consent (in any format; photocopy acceptable). These must include the full name of the individual and her/his affiliation, seal or handwritten signature, and the duration of the acceptance.
* Under negotiations: Attach materials, such as e-mail exchange(s), that indicate the status of communication with the prospective Host Institution(s)/Individual(s).

Q. Can I include countries other than the ASEAN countries and Japan?

We do not accept applications that include research and/or activities in countries other than ASEAN and Japan.

Q. Can I apply for a project that involves more than one country?

Projects that involve Fellows traveling to more than one country is eligible. The travel, however, must be continuous.
i.e. The travel itinerary for carrying out your project in country A and B must be:
Country of residence→country A→country B→Country of residence
NOT: Country of residence→country A→Country of Residence→country B→Country of residence OR
Country of residence→country A→country B→country A→ Country of residence

Q. Is it possible to divide the Fellowship, such as once during summer break and the rest during winter break?

No, the Fellowship must be within one continuous period of time.

Q. Can I continue my full-time work and/or be enrolled in school while on the Fellowship?

Fellows are required to be committed to their proposed activities/project during the Fellowship Period. In principle, departure from the activity site or location for reasons other than the Fellowship is prohibited.

Q. Who should I ask to write the Reference Letter?

Please ask two persons who have a good understanding of your achievements and fellowship project to write the Reference Letters. In some cases, we may contact the referrers.
The referrers and the host individual(s) should be different persons.

Q. How should the Reference Letter be submitted?

Applicants must ask their referrers to send the Reference Letter directly to the same office (Japan Foundation or overseas diplomatic offices) to which the Application is/was sent.

Q. Can I confirm that the Reference Letters have successfully been submitted?

Applicants must confirm with her/his referrers her/himself. Make sure that the referrers send the Reference Letter to the same office as the Application no later than the deadline.